Why You Should Unplug Your Charger When Not In Use: The Three Important Reasons

It’s a common scene in many households: chargers left plugged into outlets without any devices attached. While it might seem harmless, this everyday habit can actually pose several risks.

So, what really occurs when a charger remains in the outlet? Chargers, even when not actively charging a device, still draw a small amount of power. This phenomenon, known as standby power, contributes to unnecessary energy consumption and can add to your electricity bill over time, albeit marginally.

More importantly, leaving chargers plugged in can lead to overheating. Continued exposure to electrical current, even at low levels, may cause the internal components of chargers, such as capacitors, to degrade faster. Such deterioration becomes even more hazardous in the event of a voltage spike, which could cause the charger to overheat drastically, emit smoke, or even start a fire.

Lastly, safety should always be a priority, especially in homes with young children or pets. A charger left dangling from an outlet may attract curious hands or paws, posing a severe risk of electric shock or other injuries.